Wednesday, June 6, 2012

When we met

"Come with me to a friends house" he said. I went because I had nothing better to do. I was fifteen on Halloween. Too old for trick or treating, too young for a club.I don't know what I was expecting. A house party? A small gathering of upper classmen who would crack jokes at my expense and make me feel small and stupid. Maybe this would be the first time I'd try alcohol? I hoped someone I knew would be there. There is nothing worse than feeling alone at a party. 
 Turned out, I didn't need to worry. It definitely wasn't a party. It was just our small group. My boyfriend, two of his friends, his brother and myself. I felt awkward and I was ready to go the instant I got there. Two little girls -I assumed they lived there- had just got back from trick or treating around the block. The younger one opened her bag and peeked inside. The older one stood in the middle of the room, dumping hers all over the carpet. "I'm looking for Sugar Babies. Those are my favorite", she said. So I got down on my knees and  helped her look for the Sugar Babies. I didn't want to, but I stayed; waiting for my boyfriend's friend to get of work so we could "hang out". 
 About the time we all started thinking perhaps somebody else knows of something we could do on Halloween besides watch school kids fight over candy, he walked in. And suddenly, time was moving in slow motion. All at once I noticed his freckles, his smile, his close set eyes, and his bright blue work shirt. He was wearing a bolo tie and holding a Styrofoam cup. He smelled like smoke and buttered popcorn and he had a smile that was genuine and beautiful. I can't tell you why, but I knew from the moment I saw him that he was one I was supposed to be with. And, suddenly, it felt awkward to be at this person's house with the guy I was dating.
 "I have to go" I said to no one in particular. "Where are you going?" My boyfriend asked. "I'm not sure". But I was sure. I was sure I was about to start a future with the stranger that just walled through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment